Sony has announced that later this month Firmware 2.20 will be released for the Playstation 3. The highlight of this release is the addition of BD-LIVE or ‘Blu-ray profile 2.0′ which is supposed to enhance the movie viewing experience.
The reason why it’s called BD-LIVE is because stuff from the internet can be downloaded in the form of trailers, ringtones etc. Not all Blu-ray discs have these online features, but Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story and The 6th Day are a few titles that have been enhanced, many more will follow in the future.
- A variety of downloadable content, including bonus scenes, shorts, trailers, subtitles, ringtones that can be sent to mobile phones, images, and more.
- Interactive movie-based games can pit players who are sitting in the same room, or are across the world and online, against each other.
Along with the Blu-ray update, a few other changes will be made to the Playstation software:
- “Resume play” will enable PS3 to start playing a BD and DVD video at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed.*1
- “Audio Output Device” will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.
- PS3’s Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser’s view speed will be improved.
- DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.
- “Mosquito Noise Reduction” will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback.*2
Now where’s Home..?