A leading Eastern and Central European publisher by the name of 1C Company has revealed that Gaijen Entertainment has been hard at work on a new project for consoles, getting a helping hand from DiP Interactive for a Nintendo DS edition and DynamicSystems for the PlayStation Portable version. The game is IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey and it looks like it is currently being readied for a 2009 launch.
Initial details were originally revealed last week, with the developer stated that players will be able to take part in large-scale aerial combat and ground based military operations from World War II, as well as “participate in some of the war’s most famous battles piloting fighters, battle planes and heavy bombers across a range of thrilling missions.” There will be five main areas of war for gamers to engage in - The Battle of Britain, Stalingrad, Berlin, Sicily and Korsun, which all represent the main airborne battles of World War II in Europe. The game boasts the most realistic landscapes and aircraft seen in any flight sim.
Now 505 Games has put out the official Press Release containing even more information:
“IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey is based around large-scale aerial combat over the ground-based military operations of World War II. Players participate in the war’s most famous confrontations piloting fighters, battle planes or heavy bombers across a range of thrilling missions. There are five seats of war to engage in – The Battle of Britain, Stalingrad, Berlin, Sicily and Korsun – representing the main airborne battles of World War II in Europe.”
Below are the first screens from the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 editions of the game:
“As well as advanced environmental visuals enriching the game play, IL-2 also boasts an all new damage effects engine. Players can see real time damage to the aircraft such as holes in the wings and trail lines during dog fights. Hundreds of airplanes taking part in air battles is a distinguishing feature of IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey and the unique environmental engine also produces highly detailed, realistic landscapes that allows players to see a brand new simulation of ground support actions.”
Some of the game’s main features include:
- Authentic World War II atmosphere;
- Engage in more than fifty thrilling missions from famous historical battles over Eastern and Western Europe and fly historically accurate aircraft;
- Completely flexible difficulty level system: from arcade to realistic simulation;
- Thrilling multiplayer mode support customisation – from the colour scheme of your plane to your choice of weapons;
- Cutting edge, highly-detailed visuals, realistic sound and original music from Jeremy Soule (composer of Company of Heroes, Dungeon Siege, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Guild Wars, Neverwinter Nights, Prey, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Total Annihilation, Unreal II, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, and many more).
505 Games is set to publish IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey on the 1C Label for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS and PlayStation Portable in 2009.